Did you know that digestion consumes the highest amount of energy out of all bodily functions? When too much energy is used for digestion, there will be less available for repair and detox. As a result, we age sooner, get sick easier, and it takes longer for us to heal.
There is a reason why fasting is present in so many cultures. It is not only beneficial for your body, but also for your mind. As a matter of fact, not only will you lose body fat during your fasting period, but you will benefit from greater mental functions. Thus, fasting increases your productivity!
1. What is Intermittent Fasting?
It is a way of eating and scheduling your meals within a period of time. Usually, it means eating within a 6 to 8 hours time frame and not eating for 16 to 18 hours as a result.
2. Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- It allows the body to burn stored fat.
- It increases your productivity.
- It is a natural way to promote detox.
- It promotes longevity and anti-aging, because cells become more resilient and thus withstand damage by oxidative stress better.
- It promotes smoother, firmer skin due to the same above mentioned reason.
- It reduces your chances of cancer! It might shock you to hear this, but as a matter of fact, our body produces millions of cancer cells EACH day! However, a healthy body can fight them off and fasting promotes healing, as we will have more energy!
- The same goes for other common diseases such as diabetes or heart problems!
- It saves time, as you will spend less time cooking, eating, and thinking about what to eat. It frees up time for other important things in life!
- If you tend to think about food often during the day, then this is the solution! 😉
3. How do you practice Intermittent Fasting?
The best thing about Intermittent Fasting is that you can implement it so easily and really perform it consistently. My method of implementing it is by skipping breakfast and depending on my schedule only to start having my first meal from 12-2pm and have a snack or a dinner at 4-8pm. During the fasting period you are allowed and recommended to drink lots of water or unsweetened tea.
4. My experience with Intermittent Fasting
I tried intermittent fasting for three weeks and it was great in so many ways. Since I previously have tried fasting already, it was relatively easy for me. However, if you are new to fasting, the first few days will probably be difficult, but the good thing is that your body will adjust to it in around three days!
Major differences I noticed during the intermittent fasting period was my overall higher energy level. I had a clearer mind and was more productive, especially in the morning! Moreover, I had more power for a workout! Yes, intermittent fasting made me stronger! I had more free time, as I did not have to think about what to have for breakfast and could do other things for the time I usually spent on having breakfast.
After three weeks of intermittent fasting, I lost body weight, but not overly so, because I gained more muscles (muscles weigh more than fat), as I was working out (lightly) as well. Furthermore, I increased my portion size for my lunch too, so I do not think that I had much less calorie intake than usual. Still, I was recognizably in a much better shape and felt amazing!
Conclusion: Intermittent Fasting is easy to implement, stick to and it offers amazing benefits! I can not think of a reason not to try it out yourself. It will be even more efficient if combined with a clean diet!